Friday, May 14, 2010

Sgorr Ruadh

Today looked like it was going to be a wet one and visibility might be quite poor. I decided to go for something relatively straightforward and hoping that the weather would improve later in the week. Ideally I wanted to save the best weather for our attempt on Beinn Eighe.
I set our sights on Sgorr Ruadh. I had never been up this hill before but I had done my research and it seemed quite straightforward and would give us a nice circuit, even if we didn't make it to the summit. We left before 9am and headed back towards Achnasheen, where we turned off towards Achnashellach. We parked the vehicles at the lay-by opposite the private road leading up to Achnashellach Station (opposite Achnashellach Lodge). After a bit of a faff with waterproofs we were on our way along the forest track. We had quite a few maps so I gave them out to a couple of the kids and asked them to take it in turns to navigate. I didn't give them any instruction or advice, I just wanted to see how they did at this stage, although I knew some of them were already involved in DofE at GWC.
Looking up at The Nose of Fuar Tholl as we head through the forest at Achnashellach
Looking up at The Nose of Fuar Tholl as we head through the forest at Achnashellach
Fuar Tholl
Fuar Tholl
After exiting the forest, the rain had stopped and the sky was a little brighter so we to the opportunity to take of a few layers and make the most of the milder air. The path got steeper as we headed around Coire Mac an Leasgadair and then we were treated to a magnificent view of The Nose of Fuar Tholl. On seeing the buttress protruding out of the eerie mist, James and I exchanged a look that said: "We've got to come back and climb that one day!".
Crossing the River Lair
Crossing the River Lair
We headed to the banks of the River Lair and looked for a safe place to cross. It wasn't too high actually and we soon found a spot with some stepping stones across. We then followed the good path that wound it's way through Meall Teanga Fiadhaich, under Fuar Tholl and up to Bealach Mor. The kids were setting a steady pace and were doing a great job of staying together as one group. The rain was now back so we paused for a munch just below Bealach Mor.
Sheltering from the elements just below Bealach Mor
Sheltering from the elements just below Bealach Mor
The group at Bealach Mor with Moal Chean-dearg and An Ruadh-Stac behind
The group at Bealach Mor with Moal Chean-dearg and An Ruadh-Stac behind
We pushed on and up onto Bealach Mor, where we were treated to a great view of Moal Chean-dearg and An Ruadh-Stac - some hills for another day. I lead the kids at a steady pace up the grassy slope all the way to the summit of Sgorr Ruadh - and without a single moan or complaint from any of them - amazing. At first we were surrounded in cloud but it then suddenly cleared and we were treated to a breathtaking view North towards Torridon and Liathach. I asked the kids if they could make out the hostel, because I had told them earlier that the summit of Sgorr Ruadh could be clearly seen from there.
Moal Chean-dearg and An Ruadh-Stac from Bealach Mor
Moal Chean-dearg and An Ruadh-Stac from Bealach Mor
James and I on the summit of Sgorr Ruadh
James and I on the summit of Sgorr Ruadh
After a few photos, we made our way slowly down the Northwest shoulder. There were a couple of tricky steps that James and I spotted the kids through, but this was more of a precaution rather than a danger - better safe than sorry. After a steep descent, we were all huddled at the lochan at the bealach between Beinn Liath Mhor and Sgorr Ruadh. The kids seemed to be buzzing but I knew time was getting on. I said that they had done really well and I was wondering who wanted to go up a second Munro today. I knew we didn't have time but I wanted to see just how keen they were. To my astonishment, most of them voted to bag another peak! James and I looked at each other and chuckled. I told them that we didn't have enough time to bag another today but that we would bag at least another, maybe two, tomorrow. They all seemed happy with that so we set off back down the main track towards Achnashellach again.
Heading down the Northwest shoulder of Sgorr Ruadh
Heading down the Northwest shoulder of Sgorr Ruadh
Heading back down to Coire Lair
Heading back down to Coire Lair
The rain stayed away but it still felt like a long way back to the minibus and it took more out of the kids than they had anticipated. But we were soon celebrating another successful day back at the hostel tucking into some grub. Later on the air had cleared and I pointed out the summit we had been standing on a few hours earlier.