Monday, May 27, 2013

Torn Patella Tendon

So... I took a trip to SPACE Physiotherapy this morning to find out what the damage to my knee was - it wasn't exactly the news that I'd hoped for...

After listening to my description of the injury and how it had happened, Ross checked me over and informed me that I'd torn my Patellar Tendon and I was looking at 6-8 weeks recovery time. I was pretty gutted to hear the news but while I was coming to terms with the diagnosis, Ross had the needles out and was starting with the acupuncture!


After releasing the spasm under my knee, he started working on my quad. I was told that due to the tendon injury, my quad had tightened and was pulling on the injured tendon; causing the tightness in my knee. So, the idea was to loosen the tension to relieve the pressure and the pain on the injured tendon - makes sense!

It was agony, but right now feels much better. I've been told to stretch it and also do some exercises to help strengthen the knee. I'm told that I can do some 'easy' hill walking if I want (need!) to, but might find it hard coming down, as right now I'm kind of struggling with the stairs! Might have to get the poles out!